Monday, June 23, 2014

Hand Written Letter (Dated: 6/23/2014) [#40 from Tonga]

Family :)!!
Today I appreciated so much the advice, encouragement, and love that was sent my way. I also appreciate that fact that you let me vent a little. But, I would really not like to focus on my troubles.  I would like to focus on all the amazing things that I heard on email today! Michael, I am so proud of you and your accomplishments and your amazing work ethic that has gotten you accepted into the Architecture Program at the U. I know we all rejoice in your success. You make such an incredible addition to our family!
Mom and Brooke, your girls camp sounded like too much fun I can’t believe you got snow in the middle of June  I really miss the snow event though I think I would die from the cold now because my body is acclimated to Tongan temperature. It’s so fun to hear about Brook in the young women’s program and especially how mom has gotten to be right beside her. I was very fortunate to have mom as my Primary President and afterwards, to have dad as my deacon’s quorum advisor. I know this was a huge part of why we are so close today!

It’s pretty amazing to see God’s timing with everything. I think patience one of the biggest things that I have learned on my mission. Patience, because everything, whether I am waiting for an investigator to accept baptism or just waiting for a letter in the mail. I know it’s his timing :)

As I received your letters, I receive them about a month after they were written. My most recent letter is from Dad, the date is 5/29/14 and today’s date is 6/25/14. Can I just say, “thank you Dad!” I got this letter at the perfect time. Whenever I receive a letter from either one of you, I receive so much strength. I know that a month seems like a long time to wait for a letter, but it’s amazing how something from a month ago, can be more needed a month later. God’s timing is everything. I have a quick story I would like to share with you that my mission president shared with me.

There was a couple that wanted to serve mission together. So, they turned in their papers and on their papers, they stated clearly that they DID NOT want to learn a language, and they DID NOT want to go to a location where the weather is cold. They soon received their mission call and it was a call to Russia. So, it was not only cold, but also a difficult language. The couple declined the call and turned in new papers with the same instructions about no foreign language and no cold locations. Sometime later, they received a new call.  The mission call was again to Russia. The couple became so flustered and upset that they called the First Presidency. The First Presidency told them that Russia is the place where the Lord must want them to serve. So, they accepted the call. Their first area was working at a prison in one of the main Russian cities. It was the first week there and the wife was in total shock. She was overwhelmed with the language and with the culture and was feeling really sorry for herself. So, she went out in the hall of the prison and just cried and cried. Soon, she heard someone say, “Ma’am, can I help you?” At first she didn't realize that someone was speaking to her in English. The second time, the janitor asked, “Ma’am, are you okay?” She looked up only to find that it was her son who 10 years earlier had disappeared and nobody knew where he had gone.
This story was from Pres Tupou’s neighbor. It really touched my heart and reminded me how God’s hand is in all things and how His timing is perfect.

So, we first need to have patience. Second, we need to heed the promptings of the spirit. Then we must act on those promptings in faith. I know sometimes it’s hard to accept that patience is the only way, whether we are trying to be patient with ourselves, or patient in waiting for answers to prayers. “Some blessings come soon, some come late and some don’t come until heaven, but for those who embrace the gospel of Jesus Christ, they come!” –Jeffrey R. Holland  I love this quote, but I have often thought, what does it mean to “embrace the gospel?”

The gospel of Jesus Christ is:
Faith (in Jesus Christ)
Repentance
Baptism
Gift of the Holy Ghost
Enduring to the End

As we teach this lesson to our investigators, my faith and my embracing of this gospel gets stronger and stronger! I think the biggest part of this lesson for people to understand is “Enduring to the End”. All of us in this gospel have had or have faith in Jesus Christ, and have repented and have been baptized and received the gift of the Holy Ghost. But, all of this truly means nothing if we stop there and stop striving to receive God’s greatest gift of Eternal Life. We must “Endure”, but not just endure but “Endure Well”! As we learn to endure all things, and endure them well, a light and a joy will come into our lives that cannot be explained, but simply felt!

I love you all and appreciate so much the support and the love that you all offer in my behalf, and also in Brooklin’s behalf. You all are amazing. No other work could describe my family

Your Son/Brother,
But always remember we are an Eternal Family
Elder Blake Daniel Harmon

No comments:

Post a Comment