Monday, June 16, 2014

Hand Written Letter (Dated: 6/16/14) [#39 from Tonga]

Family :)

I look at this blank page and hope that when I'm done writing, and the page is full, I have shared something that can help you and make us a stronger family. As I have pondered on what to write about today, it has been a little difficult.  Not a lot has come to my mind, so I then pondered on some things I have studied and some advice that I have heard over the years!  It then came to me!  I have been meaning to write about it for a while, just wanted to wait for the right time to share it.  The topic I want to talk about is "Reading the Book of Mormon Daily".  Mom, I  know that you have been amazing and Dad, I know that you are too, so Brandon and Brooke, this topic is for the two of you!

Before I came out on my mission, I had read the Book of Mormon a total of "zero" times by myself.  Sure, I knew the stories and sure, I told myself that I had a testimony, but did I really? As I sat on Noapapu, I pondered on how I could really tell someone to read the Book of Mormon if I had never done so myself! So, I started to read, EVERY DAY! The other times I have read the Book of Mormon with the family or just passages here and there, I felt like it was a different language or some level of English that I did not understand.  However, as I read it for my first time on Noapapu, it all started to make sense. Why? Because of the time I gave it and because of where the desires of my heart were. I know life is crazy.  Sports, dancing, friends, dating, girls, and so many other things contribute to that. As I was on Noapapu, I gained a perspective that I could not have gained anywhere else. The perspective of importance and priority. I realized what life is truly about and I realized how much time I wasted when really I could have been coming closer to our Savior...my Savior.

As I look back I had so many times during multiple days where I wondered what I should spend my time on. I spent so much time watching TV where instead, I could have read 7 chapters or so in the Book of Mormon. I promise you as you read, light will come into your life and the spirit will felt and making righteous choices will become easier!

I'm now on my 5th time reading the Book of Mormon (in English). My perspective and understanding has grown and continues to grow!  I know that as a missionary, I can never teach or talk about something without giving a commitment or challenge! So, I challenge you both to read it before October 31, 2014.

Brandon, I know you have started a journal and write in it every day. I'm so proud of you! :) I hope adding the Book of Mormon into your life every day will make your journal writing so much better. Everyday, write about your thoughts and what you learn and you will be blessed!

I laugh because journal writing and reading the Book of Mormon are the two tings people always told me to do when I was younger, but I always blew them off. Now it is my biggest regret. Brandon and Brooke, I want you to learn from me, not follow in my foot steps, because I have made a lot of mistakes in my life, but look now where I am shining the light and walk there, for you will be blessed!

I remember when people used to tell me I would be blessed for things, but I never really knew what that meant. Brandon, Brooke . . . miracles can happen. I can now read and understand as I read. I could never do that before. I now love to read!!! Me, Blake Harmon loves to READ!! Miracles can happen if and when you follow the light of Christ!

I love you all so very much! I know my thoughts are a little scattered, but it is 6:00AM so my mind isn't fully awake, haha :)

Oh, by the way, I challenge you to read the Book of Mormon from a book and not your iPhone or kindle. Temptations will be easier and your focus will be stronger.

Before I end this topic, I just want you all to know that I love you so so much! I want you to know I pray for you all every time I get the chance, which is a lot when you are a missionary! I love you! The love a missionary has for his family is indescribable, especially when there are about 8500 miles between us....but my love has grown because of the distance.

Just remembered something that had a big impact on me. It was my buddy Silas Olsen. I don't know if you remember him (#5 on the football team and a year older than me). He is currently serving in Spain. He told me one night at Brandon Eldredge's house to grab a Book of Mormon because, "We are not going to bed without reading it!" I will always look up to him for that.  So, it's not lame to carry around your Book of Mormon, you can actually have an Eternal impact on someone!

- Elder Harmon

But always remember we are an Eternal Family!

No comments:

Post a Comment