Monday, January 6, 2014

Hand Written Letter (Dated: 1/6/14) [#16 from Tonga]

Hey Family!  Happy New Year :)

I apologize at the beginning for this very dirty paper!  Haha, to be honest, I only have 2 more pieces before I run out!  So, two for next Monday and then hopefully I go back to main land or I get transferred.

But, as I sit here and think about life and how precious it really is, I start to look to my understanding and knowledge of this gospel. As you might recall, in our search for happiness, Elder Ballard talks a lot about understanding and he talks about how understanding really is the key to all things.  So I would like to share with you and experience I had this week with coming to a greater understanding.  I have been having a really hard time with how little work we have been able to do and accomplish these last few weeks because of all of the family reunions and people gone for the new year and Christmas.  Right when I decided things couldn't get slower, it started to rain like crazy and the paths turned into rivers.  When this happens in Tonga, you can't travel to people's homes because you will get their house wet and muddy.  So, the work is slower than ever! Then, when I am hurting and thirsting for work I got 2nd degree burns on my face from the sun.  Also, my injured toe got infected....and in the midst of it all, there is no medical attention available.  So on the point of breaking and just throwing in the towel and saying, "I give up!", I remembered a quote that dad sent to me by Elder Holland.  Dad can probably show you all the full quote.  But it talks about how we all must at one point as missionaries take on or two steps towards the summit of Calvary!  And at some point, we might have to spend a few moments in Gethsemane.  And we might have to ask ourselves if there is another way.  But we are forgetting that someone greater and a lot more grander asked those same questions a long time ago.

This brought me back to the reality of what our Savior did for us.  He died for everyone, not just for the people that were going to follow him but for everyone!  He has give all of us the chance to be resurrected and given us all the opportunity to repent and be given the celestial glory God has promised us if we keep his commandments.

So, I know that I have a purpose.  It may not be easy at times, but I have a purpose to bring the gospel, the full gospel to everyone, whether they accept it or not.  Just like our Savior did for all of us, we too must give everyone that chance to hear!

I have a testimony of our Savior and his atoning sacrifice and I have a testimony that these are the latter-days talked about in the Book of Mormon!  We have been chosen in these latter-days to make a difference. Many are called but few are chosen!  I love this gospel and I love this work, because it is the Lord's work!

I love you Family!
Your Son/Brother
Elder Harmon






No comments:

Post a Comment