Monday, June 22, 2015

Hand Written Letter (Dated 6/22/15) [#92 from Tonga]

Family :)

I have been blessed to have had such a lesson learned this week. I was in awe today when I realized that I will be shipping off this letter probably the day before I go home. This means that I will probably be sitting by your side reading it with you. That's a good thing! This way I can answer your questions and give greater detail to the best of my ability :)

I would really like to focus on less active women that we have been working with since I arrived here. It's actually a lady that Elder Bunting baptized. I will tell you a little about her. She is in her late 70's. She grew up as a Methodist out on a small island called Nomuka. As she got married and moved out of the house, here parents were baptized in the church. one of her brothers is now a bishop in a ward here in Tongatapu.

She is one of the last people in her family to be baptized into the church She lives in a little hut that has a broken roof. I literally have to crawl in when I teach her or I will not fit. She is a very humble lady and she is willing to listen. She has begun to receive answers to her questions and it has created a pathway for her faith and she is beginning to act on it.

She has a desire to go to the temple. She said, "I know I need to go as soon as possible! How do I do it?" This Sunday, she is going to go see the bishop. I 'm so excited to see her prepare to make covenants and take that extra step. The joy I have seen enter her life through understanding our Savior's plan and God's commandments in indescribable. She is a huge reason why I am here and seeing the gospel bless her life has surely blessed mine....being able to be a witness of this change.

This week has been amazing just to see all of the less actives we have been working with all go to church. Our ward on Sunday was almost double in size. The spirit was so strong because I know each and everyone of knew that they were where they belonged! It was awesome to see all the less actives that have become a little bit more strong over these last few months be the ones that were fellowshipping all of the other less active families.

We have truly seen the blessings of God's balancing act. Searching, teaching, inspiring, retaining, and reactivating. Sometimes we find it difficult to find people to teach, but as we look to strengthen those who are weak or lost sheep, we are surprised how often we find a new friend along the a strayed path and that now has a desire to bring themselves and others back to the path of righteousness.

God is perfect. He knows all things and this is His work, not anyone elses. He decides when an dhow things happen. But, as we trust in Him and stay diligent, we will get to witness and His part in miracles, even if they are 10 years down the road. For God is preparing the hearts of men. He is shaping them. Shall we ever heed the promptings of the spirit so we might know which key should unlock a hardened heart.

Such little time is left here on my mission. However, I know it is not over. I know it has just begun. I know there is a work to be done at home with many of my friends and family. I know I need to keep learning and growing because I have a family that I need to nurture on the foundation of the Lord.

Your Son & Brother
Elder Blake Daniel Harmon

No comments:

Post a Comment