Sunday, June 21, 2015

E-mail (Dated: 6/21/2015)

DADDY! WOW I JUST BARELY FOUND OUT TODAY IS FATHERS DAY!!!!!! IN TONGA IT WAS CELEBRATED A MONTH AGO, I FEEL BAD I DID NOT KNOW!~~

I want you to know how grateful I am for you, your example and your constant support have brought me further in life than anything else in the world could because the path you guided me along was the path of righteousness. Thank you dad for who you are and continuing to be a leader for me!! 

--------

Okay, ran out of time. I'm not even quite sure how the time just flew that fast. It's actually really sad because I have so much to write about....some beautiful experiences I had with less active members in my area. I will have to somehow try and write you later about it!!!! KNOW I LOVE YOU ALL SO MUCH! Panitita is doing really good by the way her date is the 27th of June. Everything is going as planned. We will keep you in touch!!! Love you!  
ELDER HARMON 

-------- A Few Hours Later -------

Hey Family, 

Okay, I found another computer because I felt really bad about how bad I left you all hanging on my last email....especially last week when for some reason it did not send to you. I feel really bad about that! Hopefully this one makes it to you. 

This last  week was a really special week for me and my companion. We became really close with a lot of our less active families. We opened a lot of new doors with new less active families that we have never been able to open doors with. This last week was the King of Tonga's visit to all the little villages. It's a day that all the princess and princes go around and check all the little towns and all the villagers decorate and prepare for their visit. As my companion and I were walking around the village, we decided to visit some of the less actives whom we had received referrals for from our members. We were lucky to find one lady outside her house trimming her bushes with her machete. We quickly started to help her as I ran to the neighbor (bishop's house) and grabbed another machete. We started to help her out. Wee found out that she grew up in the church but she married a man that was catholic. We found out that she has never been back to the LDS church since she got married. It was kind of hard for her to open up about things, but the longer we stayed and helped the more happy she became to share. The next day we showed up to invite her to church. Her boys that are 17 and 16 were playing rugby outside and we decided to join in. It opened up a beautiful opportunity to invite her to church. She was hesitant, but said she would. Sunday morning we showed up to her house and she came out of the house already ready to go. It was such a great feeling to see her so excited. As we were on our way to the chapel she said none of her friends know that she is going to church (all whom are members). As we arrived the ladies saw her go through the front door and it felt like the whole relief society ran up to her and welcomed her. It reminded me of  the parable of the lost sheep in Luke 2........I saw how the gospel gives light to peoples lives and brings joy and hope to the soul.

As we were driving away from the chapel, I saw Hingano (the lady we helped quit smoking and help return to church) walking home with her two little daughters underneath her arms and she had the biggest grin on her face. This is the biggest gift Heavenly Father could have given me. As I saw this, a mix of emotions brought tears to my eyes. I felt joy, happiness and then sadness as I know these people, whose hearts I have seen changed, will only be apart of my life for 2 1/2 more weeks. I am so blessed to have served in the Tonga Nuku'alofa Mission.

This week for the first time in history, every missionary in Tonga will be led by the Prince of Tonga (who just got baptized). We will walk into the palace doors and thank the king in person for this opportunity to serve in Tonga and to have been able to baptize his son. I have witnessed the Lord hastening his work. I am his living witness. I know this to be true in the name of Jesus Christ, amen. 




No comments:

Post a Comment