FAMILY:)
You know what they say, 11:11 are the numbers to make a wish on! I have 11 months and 11 days until we are reunited again as a family. I have one wish and one wish only, and that is that we take advantage of the time that we have before us! Not tomorrow, but TODAY! As I was in High School, I had a tendency to always be thinking of days and dates ahead..in the future, instead of focusing on the present! I remember counting the hours and minutes until Friday night, instead of enjoying the day in front of me! I look back wishing I would have enjoyed every moment and not just those Friday nights, but every night, for if we start waiting and counting on the Friday nights, they will all soon be in over in our High School lives! Just like they are now done for me! I want us to enjoy this time right here, right now:) Brandon, it is already your junior year. You are about to hit half way in your High School experience! Brooke, you are in 8th grade. Believe it or not, it feels like yesterday that I was walking through those halls... Take it all in! I already know that mom and dad understand this reality already...this truth about time.
I cannot believe that I only have one year left to spread the Gospel of Jesus Christ as FULL-TIME missionary. One year left to be here among the Tonga people....I'm freaking out seeing Christmas start to creep up. I'm still listening to Christmas music....
Telu just wrote me, and said a line that stuck out to me. He said sorry I was only there for half of your experience so far....Can you believe that? It's been six months since he has been here! It has been eight months since I have been on my little island! Haha, so I recently talked to Elder Swan and he died when he found out that we send letters once a week to each other! I think I might have talked him into actually doing it! I told him how close it has brought us as a family and the joy we are able to feel.
So, I had a really cool experience today. I was able to go to a family night with our 1st counselor in one of our wards and he had three white people there from the states. They were from California, Provo, and Nevada! It was a blast! I got to translate for them and for the Tongans. It was my first time, so it was a little different. The kids in the group were so excited to see me. They all yelled, "The Missionaries!!!" They ran up shaking my hand! There are 27 of them! They are here building a house for someone whose house burnt down a couple of years back. They are here with "HEFY". Pretty cool little organization. But back to the family night, it was filled with the spirit! This boy from Nevada is a recent convert this year and his desire to share the gospel and be involved is truly incredible! He shared his testimony several times, and it was very touching.
I was able to give a little shore lesson to them. I did every other sentence in a different language so they knew what was going on. I talked about missionary work and temple work and how it's the same work and not separate work. I was able to bear my strong testimony to them. The boy from Nevada, right after, told us a story that just happened to him with family history work, then he bore testimony, it was very powerful. I'm glad I could be in tune with the spirit to share something that could relate to them. It was amazing for me to look at these 16-18 year-olds and feel so old and mature.... Even crazier is that I felt so so out of place with the white people. I found myself just going to an all Tongan group and talking with them. Hearing English everywhere freaked me out. I found myself trying to speak Tongan to the Americans, haha! I guess this next coming Sunday, I will be giving a big talk to all of them. My topic is missionary work. A lot of them are missionary age, but don't really want to go on a mission. So, I'm supposed to give experiences and things that are suppose to drive them to go on a mission. I'm actually really, really excited for the opportunity that I have to try and make a difference in their lives. I truly know how much a mission was needed in my life. I love the quote, "The mission doesn't need you, you need the mission!" The mission is the best two years for your life, and I feel like I am already a living testimony of that. I know that my testimony and foundation is permanently set because of my choice to come on a mission! It truly sets up your path on the road to eternal happiness. It gives you the chance of a lifetime. Invite others to come unto Christ FULL TIME!
Elder Riddle gave me a quote that he made up after being here for a year. It has become my saying, and I truly believe it's what the Tonga mission is all about. "The mission makes boys into men and men into men dedicated to God." President Monson is a book he wrote said that the Tongan mission is one of the best in the world, and I believe it! If you do it right, you receive a special gift of becoming a man dedicated to God! Read in the August Ensign, "Tonga, a Land Dedicated to God"
Today was a lot more random than normal, but I just wanted you to hear some of my week, along with some of my thoughts! Remember to take in the time right here, right now! Enjoy each other, enjoy school, work, even just those Sunday nights you sit down as a family, because trust me, you're gonna wish you had when your not able to be there any more!
Love one another and feel my love!
Your Missionary in the Islands of Tonga!
Ha, I still think that's incredible that I am able to say that :) ("Your Missionary")
Homo Faifekau Elder Blake Daniel Harmon
Son/Brother, but remember we are together for the eternities, so take in this time, for it is only a short time that we are separated!
- Elder Harmoni
God lets me feel your love every day.....mom, you need to know that I feel your comfort.... "Dude"
No comments:
Post a Comment