Family!
I'm actually really excited to write this letter and give you some of the detail so my week and some of the fun stuff and adventures coming up! So I guess I will start with the adventures and end with the spiritual stuff. So, since I am the district leader, I get to do companionship exchanges with all of the missionaries in my district. So, we have a boat for us to use. It has two big 150CC V6 motors :) So we are excited! We also quite often go out with the zone leaders and interview their investigators on little islands. I actually gave my first baptism interview today! It was an amazing experience. The girl I interviewed gave up coffee and tea and she bore her testimony to me about the importance of dong what God asks of us. What an incredible opportunity I have been given to have the opportunity to see these changed hearts that are ready to come unto our Savior and make their first covenant with Him!
This Tuesday, I was able to hold my first district meeting. Not going to lie, it wasn't the easiest thing for me & I really don't like being known as the district leader. Out here, people put leaders on a pedestal and I really don't like it. In fact, it is really hard on me. So, I am just trying to fulfill my duty the best I can, for I am told in my Patriarical blessing that if I accept callings I will be blessed for the things I learn from my experience.I truly believe all the things I have been blessed with come through obedience to our Heavenly Father and I can feel the loss of control and direction in my life when I am not obedient. It has been a lot of pressure for me to be a district leader. A lot of that is because in our entire zone, there is only one district :) So, my duties include interviewing all of the investigators preparing for baptism and going on companionship exchanges. I also have the duty of collecting all of our numbers and reporting them to the zone leaders, So, for me this has been a lot of pressure! But, it's a good pressure that helps me progress mau ai pe (always)
I would really like to share some of my experiences this week. I know I will end up sharing a little on e-mail just so you will not have to wait until you receive this letter to hear anything but I will always try to go into more detail in my letters. So, I had the chance to go on a companionship exchange in Hihifo, the southern village of our island. I paired up with Elder Hofoka from Tonga, but yet again he was in the liahona presidence with Elder Talanoa, so his English is fluent! It's actually frun talking Tonglish! But, sometimes we just speak in Tongan, especially if we are near other Tongans - haha. But, we had an incredible experience of teaching a guy (age 52). He grew up in the Methodist church and is actually a preacher. His kids all grew up LDS. His wife went with her husband, but her heart has always been in the LDS church. Get this, their son, is on a mission in California Oakland. His name is Elder Vaivela.
Anyway, it was the Dad Teuita (David) that asked us to come teach him. His heart had been changed since his son has been serving his mission. He has a desire to know why his son left him and everything to go preach the word of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. We began teaching him and I could feel the presence of the spirit, but mostly I could feel the light of Christ radiating from this 52 year old man. I could feel the desire he had to be with his family for eternity. AS we taught, he had questions, but as we answered, you could see the spirit working on him. The lesson came to an end and I was super sad because I knew that I would not be the one continuing to teach him. But, as we rescheduled with him, he wanted to do it early in the morning....so, I would still be there! As we came the next day, he bore testimony of how the Book of Mormon is another testimony of Jesus Christ. He told us he has felt it. He also has been praying . . . . We taught him the first half of lesson #2 and we began to close....I then thanked him for the spirit that I had been able to feel as we taught him. I told him that I would be returning to my own area the next day. As I concluded, he said that he wanted to say a few words. He thanked me from the bottom of his heart for making the sacrifice to come all the way from America to bring him the gospel. He said that he knows that I came to touch his heart specifically! Definitely one of the most tender and rewarding feelings I have had on my mission. I have had the chance to bring a family together through the gospel. He also stated that he knows personally of the sacrifice I have made to come on a mission and to leave my family....because his son is on the other side of the world and he misses his son so very much and NOW he knows why the sacrifice is so important! By the way, he is getting baptized next Saturday!!!!
I am so grateful for my opportunity to be here in Tonga (Ha'apai) and be sharing the gospel with the beautiful people of Tonga! I know the spirit is the most important thing in this work. Just think about it. This companionship exchange was setup by our AP's the night before. I know they were guided by the spirit! It's so important that we listen to and follow the promptings of the Holy Spirit!
As I have been here in Ha'apai for 3 week now, I have figured out that our ward really struggles. There are a lot of problems, especially what I would call lots of "drama". It has affected a lot of the members and contributed to them becoming less active. I have pondered this a lot lately. My companion and I have come up with some good plans, programs, ideas that should strengthen us as a ward.......We both know that his is where we are supposed to be. The lord has already shown us through many tender experiences. This is where we are needed and we CAN make a difference! It may not be bringing back every family, but we will plant seeds and we will make the difference that the Lord sent us here to make.
I love you family! I am so proud to wear the Harmon name tag every day! I were it with pride!
Your Son/Brother
Elder Blake Daniel Harmon
Ofa Lahi Atu


No comments:
Post a Comment