Family,
I had the beautiful opportunity today to receive one of mom's letters. She mentioned that Brandon is preparing to go on his second trek in the last two years. I as touched when she talked about what Brandon had to say about the subject. Brandon said, "I Loved It!" Mom later said that she had never had the opportunity to hear my perspective about how Trek was for me, especially with it being so close to when I was entering the MTC. I'm writing this letter because I have been impressed by the spirit to do so. I was thinking it could be a good topic for when I am home but I know something in here needs to be heard beforehand.
So, I would love to share with you some perspectives that I had throughout my experience. As mentioned before, Trek was a really difficult thing for me to join and commit to. Not because of the physical requirement but because of the time commitment it was going to take (July 1st - 4th, 2013). As mom and dad know, it took a lot of persuasion and talking into! My heart was hard....especially the first day. I was not a big fan of many of youth in my family and the only person that was getting me through that first day was Karson Thompson. After the first day, I thought my legs were going to fall off (hahaha, I had originally thought that I was in shape). I remember pushing my cart into town (camp) and my mom was there cheering me on and yelling my name...all I remember is that my cart was so hard to push and I was murmuring. I look back now with much regret because my eyes have been opened. I remember the next day was different. My heart was beginning to change. It all happened when I saw my little brother Brandon pushing his cart and giving it everything he had. I remember my eyes filling with tears of gratitude for my brother at that moment. I started to think about those in my handcart company and how they were my brothers and sisters too. This changed my reasoning for pushing and allowed me to push until my legs gave out.
One time that ticks out in my mind is the day of the women's pull. My group just finished and we had pulled 500 yards ahead and we were eating lunch. We were on some sort of hill so I could see mom and dad's group were about to go to the women's pull. So, I ran back to their group! I will never forget the setting. Mom was at the bottom of the hill and Dad was at the top. As I ran over to the group of priesthood holders, I spotted Dad. It was like I had not seen him in two years. We embraced and enjoyed each other's company as my Dad expressed his love for my mom and his wife. One moment I won't ever forget. I remember leaving and not watching the women's pull because I knew I would not be able to watch my own mother struggle. So many of these experiences opened my eyes and gave me so much gratitude to the pioneers of my family and all they did to reach Zion and follow the prophet. I am sure mom and dad that you remember us embracing after I was able to read my letters from you. I will never be able to thank you for helping me see the light and making the path so clear to see.
Trek has been an experience that I have shared with all my companions. It has been a testimony builder to me and has brought me true joy. I learned the true meaning of forgetting myself and thinking of others (especially thinking of random people you don't know because that is what a mission is. Helping complete strangers and loving them how the Savior would)
I saw the power of family. I have truly never felt more love for my family than when I went through that week with them. I learned a lot about being humbled. Yes, it was hard...but to tell you the truth, I only remember the times and experiences that made an impact for the good and for eternity. Mom, I hope this helps answer your question :) I love you all so much! Ofa atu kiate kimatolu
We are Eternal!!
No comments:
Post a Comment