Monday, September 15, 2014

Hand Written Letter (dated: 9/15/2014) [#52 from Tonga]

Family :)

My dear family that I love so much! I gasp in Awe as I see how long we have been separated physically, but stand in gratitude knowing how I have never been left by you in spirit. Wow, 14 months out in the field and only 10 months to go....Time to turn up the speed because I just hit the 150 meter left mark in the 400 meter dash and I need to give it everything until I hit the finish line!  I really want to focus today on a talk that was given to me here in Tonga just 2 days ago. Our Area President came and spoke to us. His name is Elder Pearson.

His focus was on the Doctrine of Christ. I have never listened to a talk that I felt was so directed distinctly towards me. The way that he presented every thing was beautiful. But, after this beautiful message, he made us all a promise that I will never forget. He gave us a promise that if we diligently read the Book of Mormon every day, there will not be a trial that we cannot overcome and we will be able to complete all of the requirements of our Heavenly Father in order to return back to Him. Reading the Book of Mormon is holding onto the Iron Rod in these latter days. In 1 Nephi 15:23 we hear the question directly....What is the iron rod? And in verse 24 we receive the answer! The iron rod is the word of God! So, how do we consistently hold to the iron rod? We have to study the word of God. And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of all things! Moroni 10:5

At the beginning of my mission, reading the Book of Mormon seemed like something I had to do other than something I wanted to do. As I continue to read daily, I see why the Book of Mormon is such a blessing in my life. I know at times we hear that a lot....The phrase "The Book of Mormon blesses my life daily and strengthens me"  A lot of us say "yes, I believe that", but HOW? I will share with you why I love reading the Book of Mormon. My biggest reason is that I search for answers to my questions that I have a desire to know the answer. For, I know that  Heavenly Father consistently continues to answer my prayers and questions through the scriptures! As we know, life and history repeats itself and continues to do so. The Book of Mormon is literally a map for life on how to make it through mortality. It will give us courage to stand, even to stand alone. And, when you feel your faith is weak, hold fast to the word of God for you will find comfort and will find hope!

As I have been on my mission here in Tonga, the importance of the Book of Mormon cannot be explained by words. The world is a trap of so many things. I have seen it take so many people close to my heart and I have seen the world consume the desires of man, even in the lives of young missionaries here in Tonga. For we must clench the word of God and hold it tight to our hearts! For, where our hearts are, there is where our desires are also.

For those of you that might be reading this, and you have felt a pull of the world tug on you, or you have given into traps that seem impossible to escape, I want to make you a promise right now that I never want you to forget. It has been a promise that has been made to all of us continually. As you pick up the Book of Mormon, and you pray to your Father who is in heaven, you ask him to receivee strength, and you ask to receive strength to overcome addictions or to overcome trials. I promise that as you read, you will find power and strength from our loving father who is watching over us! D&C 121:8, D&C 76:60, 1 Cor 10:13.

For we all have the Holy Ghost with us to guide us. But remember, oh remember, we must always seek for him to help guide us and for him to help direct us, especially with the word of God so that we might understand what the Holy Ghost is telling you personally.

For, I  know that we have been given an iron rod to hold onto in these latter days and I know it is the word of God. I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

Hey family. I imagine that you are all in  the month of October or even in November. I imagine the Book of Mormon challenge is over....but this is my plea, that you continue daily to read and to ponder in the word of God and to do so with a full desire of heart. For these are some of the worst days the world has ever seen, and we need all the protection we can get!

I love you all and I am praying for you all. Our time is short being separated, but I just want to tell you how grateful I am for the constant feeling of support from each one of you :)

You are all incredible!!!

With Much Love Fu'u Lahi Ofa
Your Brother and Son
Elder Blake Daniel Harmon

But always your Eternal Family :)
Mom "Dude"




No comments:

Post a Comment