Monday, May 19, 2014

Hand Written Letter (Dated: 5/19/2014) [#35 from Tonga]

My Incredible Family,

It has been an amazing day for me and a day full of things to do. Actually, this whole week is going to be quite busy for me! This Wednesday, I get my first "son" in the mission. What an incredible responsibility it is to be trusted with a brand new missionary! I feel like it is the greatest responsibility that can be given to a missionary. This is where a missionary is molded and becomes where they need to be for the rest of their mission. That is who they will become for the rest of their lives! Elder Jeffery R Holland once said, "The mission is the MTC of your life." Wow, what a bold and profound statement!  What a big responsibility and opportunity we have!

Preparing for this new opportunity has opened my eyes to a lot of new perspectives on life! I have learned so much in the past with all of my companions and with all the trials that have been put before me. As I have been pondering on training, and the responsibility that I will be give, I realize the opportunities I will have to learn to become a "real" father and to be able to become the example that my kids and grand kids will look up to!

As I ponder my patriarchal blessing, a quote from it reads, "I promise as you recognize and are willing to accept more responsibility, it will expand your life." Wow, what an incredible blessing and promise that I have been given. It is crazy to see the promises take place in my life and things being fulfilled in my patriarchal blessing.

What amazing promises we are "all" blessed with in this incredible gospel! Brandon, I know you just received your patriarchal blessing! What an amazing blessing! How amazing to have a blessing that pertains directly to you!

We are promised if we live our lives in harmony with the Lord's teachings and follow his commandments and live worth of the Holy Ghost that we will be blessed.  The blessing that you received will start taking place in your live and because of your commitment to follow the Savior, you have already seen some of your incredible blessings take place in your life!

Today I want to bear my testimony on following our Savior and being obedient to him! As we follow our Savior, blessings that we never thought possible will come. I have noticed in my own life as I have stayed obedient and in coming on a mission, and in following the prophet's counsel, I have seen blessings being showered upon my family and my loved ones.  Miracles that I thought could never happen, have happened since I have been out on my mission.  The blessings from our loving Savior are incredible! I'm in love with quotes from Jeffrey R Holland where  he stated, "Don't you quit. You keep trying. You keep walking. There is happiness ahead. Some blessings come soon, some come late, and some don't come until Heaven. But for those who embrace the gospel of Jesus Christ, they come. It will be all right in the end. Trust God and believe in good things to come!"

I love, love, love how he uses the word embrace! Embrace the gospel of Jesus Christ and the blessings will come! The word embrace means so much more to me since I have come out on a mission. Actually, it means everything to me now! The mission has taught me to grasp every principle and hold it next to my heart. In D&C 14:7 (our favorite numbers mom :) "And if you keep my commandments and endure to the end, you shall have eternal life which gift is the greatest of all the gifts of God!"

My beautiful family, I bear my testimony that I know that we have been blessed because of our faithfulness to follow our Savior!  I bear testimony that we will be continually blessed if we embrace this amazing gospel & endure these days of trials and continue to face our future in faith!

I promise you all as we continue to strive and as we continue to embark on the many opportunities that have been placed before us, we will grow closer to our Savior and we will become more like him!

I love you and I want you to know that I face my future in FAITH!

Your Son/Brother
But most importantly, your eternal family
- Elder Blake Daniel Harmon

No comments:

Post a Comment