Family :)
Mom I know you are a numbers person, so hopefully you needed to receive this letter when you received it. haha (#14 letter on the 23rd) haha So just in case (I love you).
Wow this week has been full of service! I don't think I have had so many opportunities to serve in my life, it was amazing!
On Monday, we had the opportunity to build a hut for our neighbor. They use these huts for cooling down in the hot air. In Tonga it is called "Faka Moko Moko". We made it out of trees and sheet metal.
One of the other projects we did was build a Fale Tonga for the Church of Tonga! Wow, I am learning a lot about using natural resources to survive. A Fale Tonga is a hut for the men to drink Kava and have meetings, to dance, etc. The roof is made from leaves sown/nettled together . . . can't think of the English word haha . . . but they are leaves! It is so beautiful!!!
Then on Wednesday, we got to help the Westland Church by helping them pain their church.AT first I was trying to be a perfectionist like my dad, but then I realized everyone was just having so much fun throwing on the paint and they were just enjoying serving!
I'm not going to lie to you . . . lots of days, I am not the happiest here . . . but something about serving this week just made me so happy, and for the first time on my mission, I felt like I was being successful. I was able to open my eyes and slap myself in the face to the opportunity that has been placed in front of me. I have been put in a place that needs the example of what a missionary of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints needs to be.
These people need so much of what I have to offer as both a missionary and an individual person. We hold the truth of the gospel in the message that we are sharing. As you know, I chose Mosiah 2:17 as my missionary plaque scripture because serving others is one of my favorite things to do, and it took me until now, on my mission, to remember how much I love it.
This week is the fist week people have actually let us help them. We have been praying so hard to have the doors opened unto us. I know that God is answering our prayers by allowing the people's hearts on our little island to be softened and I know we are now going to be able to make a greater difference.
I have such a strong testimony about the power of prayer and the power of God's hand in all things.
Family, Merry Christmas! I know things must have been different this Christmas, but just know because of our sacrifices, we are changing people's lives forever!
Love your Elder Harmon
P.S. You're all in my heart!
Mom - "Dude"
No comments:
Post a Comment