Sunday, October 26, 2014

Hand Written Letter (Dated: 10/26/2014) [#58 from Tonga]

Hey Family:)

So I thought today I would take the opportunity to tell you of a really cool experience I was able to have while I was on a companionship exchange with Elder H. from Hihifo. We had an appointment set up over in our area. It was with a family that is living in a little hut here because they are from one of the outer islands, so they come and stay here so that their kids can go to school. We received them as a referral family and we took the opportunity to go get to know them. The story that we had been told is that the parents are in the Church of Tonga and their kids are baptized members of the church (LDS) and that the kids go to school here in Pangai (the one Kolopoki setup). Anyway, we went in there expecting to try and teach the parents but when we got there, it was just the wife and the kids. We asked where the husband was and I guess that he stays in Kavai (one of the little islands). We found out that she is also a member of the church, but that since she married someone outside of the church, that is the reason that they attend the Church of Tonga. We were able to have a really good conversation! Towards the end, Elder H. told them that we were not there to be a burden on them or to criticize or to tell them that their church is wrong, but that we were there to bring blessings of the gospel of Jesus Christ. Then he told them that we are disciples of Jesus Christ and we act in His name. He then told them that we can promise blessings. He then looked at the kid next to him and promised him incredible blessings too sacred to write. He also promised them that if they continue to fulfill their baptismal covenants, they shall prosper. He then went over to the mom who looked at us with tear filled eyes and he then promised her with power that her family will see the blessings of the gospel in her lifetime and they would be sealed as a family for eternity as long as they do their part.

I have never felt so much power in one's words. I know it was the spirit working through him. It's incredible how we all have promised blessings in our lives if we first fulfill our part and keep our sacred covenants and keep the commandments! For nothing in this world is worth giving up our promised blessings from the Lord, yet it is so easy to slip and fall.

I am asking you all to hold fast now! We need to find our firm foundation, plant our feet, and grab hold of the word of God. For we need it's constant warning voice to keep us standing firm upon the foundation upon which we are built.

The adversary is working so hard on those that are younger. It is my plea that we do whatever we have to in order to push off temptation and frustrate the adversary's evil plans and ways. For God's blessings are there for you and for me! He has promised us that we shall have everything that He has if we will only but follow Him! It may be hard, it may require sacrifice including (XBox, Facebook, Texting, etc). I urge you all to avoid the things that hold you bound!

I love you all!
Your Son/Brother

Elder Blake Daniel Harmon
The Eternal Family I Hold Close to My Heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment