Monday, July 21, 2014

Hand Written Letter (Dated: 7/21/2014) [#44 from Tonga]

FAMILY!:)

I always loved our American Fork Football logo sign and the saying that was underneath it--"Like A Rock". As I was in the American Fork Football Program, I was taught so much by my coaches and built up by them in so many different ways! Coach Behm would always love to focus on the saying "being like a rock". Today I would like to talk about the same thing!  I have thought a lot about the saying "being built upon a rock", but what is your foundation going to do for you if your house is built out of straw!! So today I want to talk about how we all need to be like a ROCK. At the same time, I don't want to take away the emphasis and the importance of being built upon the Rock of our Redeemer, because without a foundation, we are nothing and are unable to stand.  So first we NEED that foundation!  But why is it so important for us personally to be rocks, and what does it mean to be a rock.  As Coach Behm came into the AF Football program, he had one really big goal in mind, and it didn't involve football cleats and a helmet. It was to make teenage boys into "men built for others." I will never forget my first summer day with Coach Lehman.  Partner challenge Thursdays.  These days we grabbed a partner and we committed to each other that we would battle to the end together!  I remember many times Coach Behm would tell us to look into our partners eyes and promise him we would give it our everything!  I imagine that I said  those same words to those people I have baptized and those that I will teach.

As we battled in pain together on the field, we weren't thinking about ourselves, but we were thinking of the guy next to us.  As I have tried to strive to continue being a "man built for others", I strive here in Tonga to help everyone. At times I feel like I'm back on the field and I'm about to give up, but then I look up and remember those faces I know that I promised in the pre-mortal existence, that I would never give up on them. I don't know if you have ever seen Brian Dawkins try to give a pump up speech to his team in the huddle before he runs out onto the field with them, but I imagine it to be a lot like that!!!

The first important step I would like us all to focus on, is being someone built for others, for God said "love thy neighbor as thy self".  With this comes service.  Often times I feel like Gordon B. Hinckley, when he wrote home to his dad and told him that he feels like he is wasting time!  Sometimes I think about how it's summer back at home, and instead of tracting in pouring rain or living with hardly having someting to eat, I could be home and enjoying the summer and eating my mom's cooking!  BUT, the words of President Hinckley's father come to me as if they are my own Dad's voice, for he said "Forget YOURSELF and go to work!" Service is essential to the gospel; therefore, it is essential for us all to serve others!  As we exercise service we gain Christ like attributes such as: desire, gratitude, patience and love. For who could be a better example of being like A ROCK than our Savior!!!

In Matthew 5:38-48 we read how the Savior he would act and how we should act.  If we develop Christlike attributes, we shall wear the title of "Like a Rock".

I believe it is ever so important that we liken the scripture 1 Timothy 4:12 unto us, and for this reason, we all need to be rocks. Everyone is looking for an example, so we need to be that example of righteousness! Be that unto the Nations!

Family, as I share some of my scattered thoughts, I want you all to know that this gospel is a gospel of everlasting happiness. What is beautiful about it is that it's not for just us, it's for us to share unto the Nations!  For it should be opened and shared unto everyone that families can be eternal through Christ our Redeemer and his plan and his way. We have the restored and true gospel on the earth. Just like times of old, God loves us equally and has given us a Prophet to guide us all back to him.

I think one of the most important lines in the Book of Mormon is in the Introduction. It states, "We invite all men everywhere to read the Book of Mormon, to ponder in their hearts, the message it contains, and then to ASK GOD the Eternal Father, in the name of Jesus Christ if the book is true.  Those who pursue this course and ask in FAITH, will gain a testimony of it's truth and divinity by the power of the Holy Ghost (see Moroni 10:3-5)

This is the most beautiful promise!!  I always tell our investigators that we can tell them the book is true all we want, but it means nothing until they receive an answer from God. For we are all invited to READ and to ASK.  Then we shall know!  Joseph Smith asked God with real intent and with faith and he was given an answer. James 1:5 applies to all of us!  For if we know that the Book of Mormon is true then we know Joseph Smith saw God the Father and his Son, and he was guided and directed to translate the Book of Mormon! Therefore we know "Thomas S. Monson is called of God."

Family this gospel is Heavenly Father's work for it is Heavenly!

I love you all so so very much, I pray for you all everyday, I consistently pray that you will have missionary opportunities!  For I remember those times of sharing the gospel with my friends and that it was the greatest time of my life.  Just compare it to how awesome it is to do your own family's names in the temple, it's really similar to that :)
Anyway you are all incredible!  I love you!

Your Brother/Son
But Remember we are an Eternal Family
Elder Blake Daniel Harmon

No comments:

Post a Comment